Monday, April 25, 2011

rest...

my first two semesters of being back in school came to a close last thursday night and i was both thrilled and relieved when i walked out of class. i was waiting on one final grade from this past 7 weeks, but i just checked and i am happy to say that out of 8 classes, i have received 8 A's. i can honestly confess that going back to school has been amazing and truly enjoyable. i had a few fears initially because i had not been in college for over 8 years, but it has been great and i continue to look forward to more classes and finishing up my bachelor's degree. i will carry on this summer with another 7 credit hours of school the first 7 weeks, and i'm unsure right now if i will take any classes the second 7 weeks or have a break.


i have taken a week off from work and i am currently visiting a friend that i met back in 2005. we both were in montana participating in the same discipleship training school through youth with a mission and have kept in touch since then. i've only been here since saturday, but even in the short period so far, i've been grateful for the quality time that i get to spend with katy, and also for the break of "real life." it's amazing to me how God directs our steps, even when we don't realize it. katy and i live over 1000 miles away from each other, but thankful distance does not dictate the depth of a friendship.


i am still working at bashor children's home, and have been blessed with enough hours and a schedule that allows me to go back to school. i continue to learn and grow from my co-workers and also the youth there. at times the youth surprise me with their knowledge about life and they also teach me things about myself.


i have all my classes scheduled for the following year and will graduate may 2012. this is a very exciting accomplishment for me, although when people ask what i will do afterwards, i really have no clue. i could remain at bashor, get into another social work avenue, or maybe something completely different. as you can probably tell from what i wrote above, school was not something that i was excited about going back to necessarily. i had just paid off my college debt from the first time around and i really didn't think it was sensible to go back and obtain more debt. so in actually deciding to go back to school, i felt that it was more about obedience then looking at it logically. that is why i really am unsure about what the future holds. i trust that God knows best and will continue to guide me as i walk forward.


you might ask why i've titled this "rest..." life gets busy. whether it's church, family, friends, school, work, etc.... life doesn't slow down unless we make it slow down or in other words, change our priorities. getting away for a week is a huge blessing for me. without being at home, my life has slowed down. although as much as we all would enjoy a vacation every so often, it's probably not feasible for the majority of us. these verses that follow have challenged me and i wanted to share them.

Psalm 62: 5-8
"Find rest, O my soul, in God alone; my hope comes from him.
He alone is my rock and my salvation; he is my fortress, I will not be shaken.
My salvation and my honor depend on God; he is my mighty rock, my refuge.
Trust in him at all times, O people; pour out your hearts to him, for God is our refuge."


my hope is that as easter has just passed and the warmth of the summer arrives, we all will hold tight on this rest that is offered to us. my priorities have changed and i pray they will continue to change as they need to in order for me to draw closer to God and to gain a greater understanding about what he has for me.



thank you all again for your encouragement and prayers. i truly appreciate it!

No comments:

Post a Comment